FIRE EXTINGUISHER SERVICE
Fire extinguishers are there to control small fires in case of an outbreak. So if you’re thinking, “where can I find a reputable fire extinguisher service near me?”, you have come to the right place.
Regulations For Fire Extinguishers in the UK
By law, buildings for commercial use must follow the following guidelines regarding fire extinguishers:
- Legally, you must have at least 2 Class A fire extinguishers per storey.
- Your building may need other specific types of extinguishers, depending on the risk factors present within the premises. Having a fire risk assessment carried out will establish any additional fire extinguishers you may need.
Knowing What To Get
Depending on your business, different fire extinguishers may be deemed as being more appropriate than others. The section below will outline the different fire classifications, followed by which type of fire extinguisher is best.
Fires are sorted into the following classifications, depending on the materials that may have caused the fire:
- Class A: involves fires that are caused by paper and wood.
- Class B: caused by flammable liquids, such as oil.
- Class C: These target flammable gases such as butane and propane.
- Class D: these fires are caused by combustible metals, making them best placed in industrial settings.
- Electric: If a fire has been caused by an electrical appliance, extinguishers with the electric symbol are most effective. This is more likely to happen in places where the volume of electrical goods is high, such as offices etc.
- Finally, fires caused by fats, such as deep fat fryers are sorted into their own classification.
Understanding Fire Extinguisher Types
Each type of fire extinguisher contains different substances, which aim to tackle different kinds of fires.
- Water – These release high pressures of water, and are best for tackling fires caused by wood, clothing or paper. Best for: Class A fires.
- Powder – Also known as ABC powder fire extinguishers due to their ability to tackle fires in those classes, this extinguisher is not suitable for fires caused by metal fires or fat pan fires.
- Foam – Foam extinguishers are suitable for flammable liquid fires.
- Carbon Dioxide – CO2 extinguishers work by starving the fire of oxygen. Best for: electrical Class B liquid fires.
- Wet Chemical – ideal for kitchens, wet chemical fire extinguishers target fires caused by oil fires.
Why Choose ESP For Fire Extinguisher Services?
- Experienced Fire Extinguisher Providers – We are an established fire safety solutions company and help hundreds of businesses sort out their fire extinguisher needs in London, including Barnet, Enfield and Harrow, to name just a few of the areas we cover.
- Training – We take fire safety seriously, which is why we offer to train your business up in the effective use of fire extinguishers.
- Qualified Engineers – No matter what your business or organisation does, we have the expertise to match suitable fire extinguishers to your building. We install, support and maintain all your fire extinguisher needs, so you’re in good hands.